Sunday, June 12, 2011

Movie: Midnight in Paris


    Ah Paris. Paris is a city that you either love or hate. Some see it as filthy and old; others see it as romantic and captivating. I've heard some say the Parisians are a rude lot; however, I've not experienced that. The rudeness is not any worse than in the States. This movie takes you all over Paris. You see the steps up Montmartre, the Eiffel Tower, Champs Elysee, Arc de Triumpe, and Versailles. .. . I even saw the top of the building that houses my favorite fabric shop. I recognize some of the streets that Sarah and I have explored and the museum where they have the room with Monet's Water Lilies. If you love Paris, this is the movie to see, if for nothing else, but the visual trip through the city.

    The city doesn't change much over time and that is part of the magic. Midnight in Paris makes you revisit the times you wished you lived in another era. It seems that almost every generation looks back and sees a different time as a "golden age". What would it have been like to rub shoulders with the literary and artistic community during another century? I think that it would be very difficult to resist the temptation to change history. We would know already that, for example, Picasso's work would be valuable, that Hitler would come to power, and that Coco Chanel would play both ends against the middle. If 100 people were allowed to go back in time, wherever they chose, and each one managed to change one small thing, how different today might be. It reminds me of when I was drawing route folders for fighter aircraft. If the route was off by two degrees, it wouldn't matter much if the aircraft was only flying one hundred miles, but if it was flying 4,000 miles, it would be a great deal off course by the time it was to reach its destination. The further it flew the more there would be a variance. It could literally turn out to be a hundred miles off course. So, how much change would happen if these 100 people change one thing?

    I can't wait to go back to Paris. It is perhaps my favorite city. I like Rome, New York City, Oslo was nice, and I've been to several other "nice" places, but Paris is my favorite. I don't speak French, but I enjoy the history of a city that sparkles in the rain. The narrow cobblestone streets, the small cafes, and of course, the patisseries are those things I miss most. You must go to Paris, at least you will be able to say whether it is a love or hate for you. Let the charm of the city enfold you. Paris has had some rough spots in its history, but that has served to make the city unique. Don't compare Paris or France with the United States; let it be the magic place it is without tainting it with the comparisons of another totally different culture. You should compare the good of the culture and recognize the differences as not bad, but merely different. Americans can be so arrogant. My question is, if you go to another country to visit, why would you want it to be like home? If it were just like home, you might have better saved your money and stayed home. I go especially to experience the country's culture. I dress to fit in and enjoy the times that I am privileged to interface with the citizens. Go with an adventure in mind, and don't be afraid to step out of the guided tour box.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment