Saturday, September 5, 2009

Julie & Julia Thoughts


I just returned from watching the movie Julie & Julia. I had been anxiously awaiting it hitting the theater. Granted, the French language was a bit butchered, and that's going some for me to notice, since I speak very little French, but I absolutely loved the movie. I so love Europe and have been to Paris twice. I think that I would love to live in France. I know, I've only been to Paris, but I'm sure that the rest of the country is even more wonderful. Sarah and I, even before she took French in high school, pretended that we had tons of money and we bought a chateau in France. We would have converted it into a bed and breakfast. I would do the cooking, and Sarah and whoever she married would have a cottage and do the maintenance. I think that one of the reasons I enjoyed the film is that it was film on location, in Paris. The sense of history just walking down one of the streets is amazing. I found myself wanting so much to return to Paris when I saw places that I recognized. Besides the location, I enjoy cooking. One of my sources of entertainment is to cook something that the person normally would not eat and watch them take seconds. Spinach souffle, strawberry-rhubarb pie and sauerkraut cake were a few of the things I have "inflicted" upon the unwary. I also enjoy the challenge of making otherwise "not so good" food into something worth eating. When on Guam, my former husband was put on a special diet, not many hypoglycemic prepared foods in the 80"s even if you weren't on Guam. Plain yogurt, fresh fruit and a couple packets of artificial sweetener made a passable ice cream type treat. Recently, I've done a little research into the diet for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I'm thinking that may be my next challenge.

Sarah has a friend who specifically asks to be a "guinea pig" for me to try out new recipes. Perhaps that is good---or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment